Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Are Royal Mail delivering your parcels?

Postwatch have received information from concerned customers regarding the delivery of their parcels.

It seems that in some areas of the country Royal Mail are not even attempting to deliver parcels. "While you were out" cards are being left, requesting customers to collect their item or arrange redelivery, even if you are in at the time!

We would welcome your comments. Has this happened to you? If so please tell us which part of the country you're in and what happened.

19 Comments:

Blogger trucker99 said...

Nice one to the boys/girls at the Wigan depot
left a soeey you were out card
so I made arrangements via the internet for a redelivery
got my delivery day waited in all day no delivery 100% stars

3:46 pm GMT  
Blogger BombDrop said...

I'm in Exeter, Devon, and I'm currently missing THIRTY FOUR parcels that were sent in the last two months via Royal Mail standard first class delivery. I can't get the senders to send them Recorded, but the fact is that I shouldn't have to.

I've called the Royal Mail and was told that someone would come back to me within 10 working days. That was a month ago and I've heard nothing.

4:25 pm GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that not only have Royal Mail failed to deliver thirty four of your parcels but they have not responded to your enquiry about them.

Please contact Postwatch with the specific details; you can make a complaint from this same page. The link on the right will show you a new page from which you can contact Postwatch and we will do all we can to help you by representing you and contacting Royal Mail on your behalf.

11:36 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Royal Mail fail to deliver I'd say 95% of parcels to my address. I live on the 3rd floor and they just send a card. I even caught the postman one day looking up to my flat, getting in his van and driving off. I chased him and found my package in the back of the van. This even applies to guaranteed 24 hour delivery items. I also just found out my grandparents have the same problem who live in a different part of the country. I've had my mail stolen, lost items refused compensation. I was also told if I send an item to an address that does not exist, even if the item has a return address Royal Mail will now auction the item without even returning it. Shame on Royal Mail and shame on the Gordon Brown for allowing a once respected public service to become another NHS.

1:20 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been waiting patiently for my compensation from last September. I did recieve a cheque a month ago which was made payable to my address, the Bank just laughed at me, how can the Post Office be so stupid?

I'm still waiting for the compensation corrected cheque to arrive, for a parcel that the Post Office failed to deliver.

Not wonder the market share has been erroded and I just hope the Post Office go bust!

Crap service through and through.

10:56 pm GMT  
Blogger Postwatch said...

If you have still not received the second compensation cheque then you could contact Postwatch and we will take this matter forward on your behalf.

Call us on 08456 013265 or write to us at Freepost Postwatch.

9:29 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to say , I am still waiting for a small parcel from the U.S , NO SIGN OF IT IN THE U.K, ,but when they leave the form for redelivery, and you ask for it on a Saturday morning. 99% you never get it, then get another card on the Monday, good old BLACKPOOL

4:57 pm GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a good one: I was sent a parcel from Jersey, Special Delivery, on Wednesday. IT didn't arrive. The web track and trace was not working(??) I phoned and was told the parcel was with UK Cusotms - nothing they could do about it and SPecial Delivery didn't count. On Friday I checked track and trace and it said the item was with them (PO) and would be delivered shortly. Saturday, logged on again, as soon as the system was up, at 0900, and received the message:
We have tried to deliver your item from our CHELTENHAM Delivery Office before 08:49 on 26/01/08 and we have left a while you were out card.

You can arrange a redelivery online, call the number on your card to arrange a re-delivery, or collect the item from your local enquiry office by bringing your card and proof of identification and address.

Surprise surprise, the postman had NOT called, I have NO CARD and so where does that leave me?
I have complained to the PO about their lies and useless service and await results with interest.
PS I do NOT believe that UK Customs hang onto parcels for 3 days, if they did, there would be a mountain of backlogged mail to deal with. Even when I get stuff from the USA, it only takes around 4 days, on average.

3:10 pm GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently moved from Edinburgh. While there the postman would never deliver parcels and always put a note through the door which was POSTDATED to the next day so that I had to wait until the next day to go and pick it up. I was waiting for a parcel one day and even saw the postdated slip come through the letterbox (no attempt to knock or ring doorbell).

Since moving I have sent 3 parcels using Royal Mail Signed For. I have been unable to track or get a signature for any one of them.

If Royal Mail cannot provide a service then they absolutely should not be selling it. The cost is not the issue, the problem is that people rely on it - if they pay for recorded delivery then they expect a signature - it doesn't matter whether it costs 70p or £100.

1:20 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

first of all , i often get wrong mails delivered to my house bhy mistake.

secondly, the royal mail lost my statement of earning which i never received from my company. its been more than a month now. first class my arse.

thirdly recently , they delivered a parcel but i am not home so they give me a card slip, and i've been to the post office for 5 times already and they still ahvent got it. its lost!

i tried to complain. the helpline ask me about reference number, and there is not reference number on my royalmail slip. and then it takes ages to reach an operator, which never picked up. and the other number nobody is there they say the manager is only there in the morning.

and then i try to complain in their website. and there is no place i can file a complain. and they have automated redirectory , that is shit. and i still cant get my concerns to them.

royal mail has caused much sorrow to me.

2:00 pm GMT  
Blogger Postwatch said...

Stephen, if you are still having trouble reporting your problems to Royal Mail you can contact us and we may be able to take your complaints to Royal Mail on your behalf.

Call us on 08456 013265 or write to us at Freepost Postwatch

9:49 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Saxmundham, Suffolk. Twice so far small parcels have been posted to me and have arrived many, many, many days later. I am still waiting for a parcel, posted in Lincolnshire first class, 7 days ago. So you are lucky to get a card from the postman - I get nothing!
Letters posted abroad to us never arrive at all - but letters posted at the same time to other family members who live elsewhere in the UK all arrived. Can't complain as I am told everytime that the sender has to start the investigation, not me, so they cannot investigate. But the common theme is that mail to me (who lives in Suffolk) regularly fails to arrive or is extremely delayed. Mail to my family who live elsewhere arrives OK.

8:05 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE are in Witheridge, Tiverton postal area (Devon). In the last 12 months 4 parcels several letters have failed to arrive ...these are the ones we know about. It is likely that others have also failed to arrive. The Royal Mail are not interested if they were not insured. There is something rotten happening to the Royal Mail service.

9:52 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're delivering about 60% percent of my parcels and 80% of my mail.

12:28 am GMT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Royal Mail Delivery Chronic Irregularities: Deception and Falsehood
I have been making complaints about this card leaving practice since 2005 but never received a satisfactory final response from Royal Mail, let alone a resolution. Instead, all these years they kept doing this. Even at times in 2005 I lost recorded delivery items, that I bought on eBay, and despite Royal Mail’s admissions that the items were lost, I never received any compensation.
Now, there is something new to this, in recent days, Royal Mail delivery people stop attempting delivery non 'Signed for' mail, if they are a bit bigger or bulkier! In last couple of months I received at least 9 cards stating letter/packet is too big for your letter hole as it has always been the case before leaving the card they never bother to press the doorbell or knocked the door. Most time I received cards when I was in. Anyways, it makes their job easier if we go and collect our mail that’s paid for. Amongst those 9 items, at least 3 items were small enough to go through my letter box/hole. After finding out this, I became almost sure that delivery staff even do not bring those letter/packets that they consider or assume would not make through our letter-holes!
On 27 June 08 I was waiting at the window right above main communal entrance, expecting a trousers delivery and finally I caught the Postwoman red-handed when she was just leaving a pre-prepared “Sorry, you were out’ card ticking on “It’s too big for your letter box’ and “Has been returned to the Royal mail delivery Office at:” boxes. She did not press any doorbell at all. Nor did she try to push in any ‘big’ packet through the letter-hole (bear in mind the door itself was left open). The card too was prewritten, so everything was very quick indeed! But being caught she still remained defiant. The most intriguing thing is she did not have the item on her! Given it was a false statement that the item was returned to the delivery office, I had her write on the card ‘item left in the office’.
Then although she promised that she would bring the item the next day (Friday the 28 June), 3 days on the item has still not been delivered.

3:14 pm GMT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Royal Mail Delivery Chronic Irregularities: Deception and Falsehood
-----------------------------
I have been making complaints about this card leaving practice since 2005 but never received a satisfactory final response from Royal Mail, let alone a resolution. Instead, all these years they kept doing this. Even at times in 2005 I lost recorded delivery items, that I bought on eBay, and despite Royal Mail’s admissions that the items were lost, I never received any compensation.
Now, there is something new to this, in recent days, Royal Mail delivery people stop attempting delivery non 'Signed for' mail, if they are a bit bigger or bulkier! In last couple of months I received at least 9 cards stating letter/packet is too big for your letter hole as it has always been the case before leaving the card they never bother to press the doorbell or knocked the door. Most time I received cards when I was in. Anyways, it makes their job easier if we go and collect our mail that’s paid for. Amongst those 9 items, at least 3 items were small enough to go through my letter box/hole. After finding out this, I became almost sure that delivery staff even do not bring those letter/packets that they consider or assume would not make through our letter-holes!
On 27 June 08 I was waiting at the window right above main communal entrance, expecting a trousers delivery and finally I caught the Postwoman red-handed when she was just leaving a pre-prepared “Sorry, you were out’ card ticking on “It’s too big for your letter box’ and “Has been returned to the Royal mail delivery Office at:” boxes. She did not press any doorbell at all. Nor did she try to push in any ‘big’ packet through the letter-hole (bear in mind the door itself was left open). The card too was prewritten, so everything was very quick indeed! But being caught she still remained defiant. The most intriguing thing is she did not have the item on her! Given it was a false statement that the item was returned to the delivery office, I had her write on the card ‘item left in the office’.
Then although she promised that she would bring the item the next day (Friday the 28 June), 3 days on the item has still not been delivered.

3:15 pm GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Realise this is an old article but it is still happening. Work from home today as I am expecting a recorded parcel. Post drops through the door at 11:15, at the bottom of the pile is a "sorry we missed you card". Head straight out and challenge the postie who says that it wasn't from him and a van driver left it. Card was timed at 11.30 and I had been out that same door 5 mins before the postie and there was no card then. I am so angry that he lied straight to my face! I now have a nice round trip tomorrow before work to go and get the parcel. Royal Mail really are disgusting.

11:11 am GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have for some weeks now been trying to find out exactly who to complain to about sorting office practices, I and many other people have had the same experience when a parcel is not delivered a card is left stateing you can collect the items from your sorting office only on production of at least one form of ID, to date and this is the case with everybody I have spoken to about this I have never had to produce ID, the apartment block I live in has a cummunial mail box with open slots for the mail so if anybody took the card from there they could to all intents and purposes retrieve my parcels from the sorting office without my knowledge.

3:28 pm GMT  
Blogger Postwatch said...

Anonymous in the first instance you should complain to Royal Mail Customer Service on 08457 740 740, you are quite right that ID should be required. If you have any problems with Customer Service or are unhappy with the way they respond then please contact me at info@postwatch.co.uk and address for my attention, Lisa Dinnick

2:46 pm GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home